"On Longing"




"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale"

This is a picture I took at Universal Studios, when my cousins found a beautiful moth resting on the ground. Without their hands, no one would have understood the size and beauty of this creature, large enough to fit in the palm of your hand.



"Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience."                                        

This is a picture of my postcard collection. For the last 10 years, every time I go somewhere new I made sure to buy a postcard. I do not travel very often, so each postcard serves as a memory and an experience I had for the very first time.





"The souvenir reduces the public, monumental, and the 3D into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body"
This is an image of two Photo Booth snaps from my prom, of me and my best friend. I chose this picture because it took the best parts of that night and condensed it into some of my favorite pictures of us together. It made a lovely keepsake for years to come.




"Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss."   
This is a picture of my parents and I at my very first baseball game. Going to watch the Tampa Bay Rays is still a tradition today. Those are the same seats my parents still sit in today at the Tropicana Field in St. Pete. I chose this picture because it represented a simpler time.  I miss the little moments like that and still try to attend the games with my parents.






"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy." 

This is a photo of my lava lamp. It was a Christmas gift from a close friend from a very long time ago. For me it is a symbol of youth and the fun times we had, it was my favorite and became the most popular when I showed it off as a kid. Now this strangely popular piece is another long lasting memory


Comments