Memento Project







This piece represents and commemorates one of the greatest losses of my life. A wonderful man who had been my art teacher since I was a young kid, committed suicide in my first semester of college. He taught me to draw and sculpt and paint; he had an open classroom during lunch we could go to and hang out; he enacted bubble Friday's and played music from all sorts of genre. He was the football coach, an art enthusiast, and a history buff. He was a great mentor and friend. Throughout high school, he was my rock, a father-like figure to many at the school including myself.
This reflects the emotional turmoil I experienced after his death. He is the rock, a deep blue was colored on to represent my dismal state. The wire cage around it is where I have to keep him, and this pain I feel. Because words do not describe the kind of man he was, and people do not understand that to me, losing him was tantamount to losing my father. I wrapped the rock in wire because the metal is cold and metallic and strong, and that is what I must be now that he is gone, and no one cares that I still care so deeply.

The three materials I used for this piece were:
 1. Wire
2. Rock
3. Blue Expo Marker


Comments